Isn’t it funny how the Left accuses conservatives of being “anti-science” when it suits their agenda? But when the Right tries to use science—to argue the genetic basis of sex (it’s chromosomal), to reveal the truth about the wage gap between men and women (there isn’t one), or if they merely mention IQ statistics—they’re shut down as sexist or racist.
Why IQ Matters
Ignoring IQ stats can have drastic effects to our society. For example, men are more likely to have higher IQs than women. Estimates drawn from a bell curve show that 1.438 times more men than women will have an IQ over 120, and 2.525 times more men will have an IQ over 140.
Yet men are now actively discriminated against in STEM fields to make up for the fewer numbers of women in these high-IQ college programs and professions. The probable outcome to this is that lower-IQ women are selected over higher-IQ men due to discrimination against men. Already, fewer men are now choosing to go to college, and the ratio of women over men on university campuses is nearly 2:1.
We claim to want to judge people as individuals rather than by sex or race; yet discriminatory practices currently in place do just the opposite.
IQ is a measure of human intelligence. It’s not a test of education; in fact, IQ tests don’t even require literacy and children as young as two years old can be tested. Things like being raised in a home with books and a quality education show little impact on IQ. The latest research shows IQ to be primarily genetic—possibly as much as 80 percent.
Statistically, much is correlated with IQ, such as income, job performance and career path, fertility rate, crime and incarceration rates, happiness and life satisfaction, health and rates of disease, life expectancy, rates of marriage and divorce, whether a woman will have children out of wedlock, and welfare use. There are undeniable facts about IQ, and ignoring them is having disastrous effects on societies.
Here are a few examples from non-Hispanic whites:
- Of those with IQs above 125, 2 percent had a child out of wedlock, compared to 32 percent of those with IQs less than 75.
- Only 2 percent with high IQs live in poverty, compared to 30 percent with IQs less than 75.
- The percentage of high-school dropouts is 55 percent for IQs under 75; 35 percent for IQs from 75-90; 6 percent for the mid-range between 90-110; 0.4 percent for IQs from 110-125; and 0 percent for IQs above 125.
- Mid-range IQs have the most likelihood of being married before age 30. Those with high IQs (above 125) are less likely to be married by age 30 those with the lowest IQs.
- White men with the highest IQs are the least likely to be incarcerated (0 percent), but for IQs under 75 it jumps to 7 percent.
- Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray, authors of The Bell Curve, devised a Middle Class Values Index that ranks a person’s likelihood of having a stereotypical middle class life, such as graduating from high school, not being incarcerated, being married to one’s first spouse, being in the labor force (for men), and not having a child out of wedlock (for women). The lower the IQ, the less likely someone is to live such values: 16 percent for under 75 IQ; 30 percent for IQs from 75-90; 50 percent for IQs 90-100; 67 percent for IQs 110-125; and 74 percent of those with IQs above 125 have these middle-class values.
- In addition, IQ scores are the best predictor of whether people will be economically successful in Western society.
This doesn’t mean all high-IQ people will have high salaries—just that it’s incredibly unusual to find someone with a high IQ, with no physical disability or mental disorder, who’s taking government handouts. An IQ above 100 means you’re more than likely able to carry on a middle-class job and stable life in a Western country. (As an aside, high IQs are advantageous and often necessary for complex jobs, but provide no real advantage for jobs like manual labor.)
White Privilege . . . or IQ?
We’re told the reason whites are more successful than minorities (in historically white countries, no less!) is because of “white privilege.” But actually, whites are not the most economically successful race in America. Jews and Asians—two groups that have experienced past hardships and discrimination—are the highest earners in America, followed by whites, Hispanics, and blacks.
|Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians||$60,133|
As you can see below, IQ rates correlate fairly well with income. America’s Jewish population, with the highest median income, also has the highest IQ, followed by Asians, then whites, Hispanics, and blacks.
|Ashkenazi Jews (studies range from 104 to 115; the IQ of Sephardic Jews is estimated to be the same as Northern Europeans)||110|
|East Asians (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore)||105|
|Europeans (Northern and Western Europe is 100; Eastern and Southeastern Europe is 95)||97|
|American Indians (North and South America)||90|
|Southeast Asians (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Borneo)||87|
|Pacific Islanders (Natives of New Zealand, Micronesia, Melanesia, Polynesia, and Hawaii)||85|
|South Asians (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, the Gulf states, the Near East, and Turkey)||84|
There are outliers, of course. As a whole, Indians have an average IQ of 82.2. But Indian-Americans have a median income of $100,547, probably due to selective immigration policies. (The 287 million illiterate adults in India are not the ones filling out immigration paperwork and now working high-tech jobs in the U.S.)
These data obviously don’t mean there are no Asians with low IQs or blacks with high IQs. Lumping people into a group and judging them based solely on skin color is the definition of racism, and everyone should be judged as an individual. What it does mean, though, is that it’s possible to build statistical models of what will happen to America or other Western countries if current immigration rates continue.
In 2016, for example, the U.S. took in the most refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (average IQ of 78), Syria (83), Burma/Myanmar (87), Iraq (87), and Somalia (68). (Mental retardation is defined as having an IQ of 70 or below.) These scores mean that, compared to immigrants from Japan (105), Taiwan (104), Italy (102), or Switzerland (101), these refugees will have higher rates of joblessness, incarceration, welfare use, and not obtaining a college degree.
Immigration data supports the theory. According to the Heritage Foundation, households headed by persons without a high school degree, on average, receive $46,582 in government benefits each year, but pay only $11,469 in taxes—a burden to taxpayers of $35,113 annually.
In contrast, households with college-educated heads received an average of $24,839 in government benefits but paid $54,089 in taxes—giving $29,250 for the government to redistributes to other.
Welfare use by first-generation immigrant households varies significantly by race as well, with the lowest rates among Asians and whites, and the highest rates among those from Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Africa:
Given the country’s massive debt, questions about the IQ, race, education level, and skill level of immigrants should be a part of any discussion about immigration.